Wednesday, April 09, 2014

a slightly healthier banana bread


Sometimes I'm in the mood for a classic white banana bread. And sometimes I am trying not to eat too much sugar, so I want a banana bread that's a little bit healthier. Something with whole wheat, maybe even some oats. I had a few bananas looking sad and spotted sitting on my counter, so I started looking for a recipe that included coconut oil, flax seed meal, whole wheat flour, and oats. I found lots of recipes that had one or two of those things, but nothing seemed exactly right.

So I threw caution to the wind and I winged it. I never do that in the kitchen. It is not one of my talents. I used a little of one recipe, and a little of another, and then I added a bit of cinnamon. What I ended up with was a squat little loaf, but it was so moist and delicious, with a crunchy crust and just the right amount of sweetness inside. I am pretty sure I'll make this one next time I have over ripe bananas hanging around. Elliot and I thought it was just right. The real test will be whether or not the other kids gobble it up after school today, though. But I have a feeling they will.

A Healthier Banana Bread

In a medium bowl, whisk together these dry ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

In a different medium bowl, mash up 2-3 very ripe bananas. Then add these wet ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

Makes one loaf.

I know there are so many banana bread recipes out there. Do you have a favorite?

2 comments:

  1. I love banana bread, and I have tried a lot of different recipes! My favorite is this one that I blog about, which is sweet enough that you can eat it as dessert but also made healthy with the use of whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of oil! It also makes two loaves which is fantastic because it disappears quickly! I hope you will check it out!
    http://www.lifeisbetterinpink.com/2013/10/johns-banana-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can no longer eat white banana bread. We make both our pumpkin bread and banana bread with whole wheat flour and honey! (and dark chocolate chips in the the pumpkin bread!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!