Tuesday, August 22, 2017

an eclipse trip


Did you watch the eclipse? Mike and I traveled to Idaho this weekend to be in the path of totality. I thought Mike was kind of crazy when he mentioned it a few months ago, but oh, it was amazing! I keep watching the video I shot of the moment of totality over and over again (you can see it in my instagram), and it gives me goose bumps each time. It was an incredible experience.

This photo was snapped during totality. You can see that it wasn't totally dark, but pretty nearly. It was so, so strange.


We met up with my parents in Victor, Idaho. The skies were clear and the temperature was just right.


As we neared totality, the temperature dropped significantly and the sky started to darken, but it wasn't until the moon completely covered the sun that it got dark. I can't even describe it. It was surreal and spiritual and breathtaking. If you ever get the chance to witness a total eclipse, do it! Make it happen. You won't regret it.

One of my favorite parts of yesterday, though, was when totality was complete someone started blaring the song, Total Eclipse of My Heart. It was perfect. Not my favorite part: the post-eclipse traffic. Oh man, it was intense getting out of Idaho! We barely made our flight home.


But before the eclipse, we spent a little bit of time with my parents in Sundance. I hiked with my mom and we ate dinner together at the Foundry Grill. I felt so lucky to be there twice in one summer!



Mike and I made our way slowly north, stopping at temples along the way. First was Payson, for our Mabel, who was born in Payson. Then the new Provo City Center Temple (SO gorgeous, wow!).


And then up to Logan. Utah (and Idaho) is such a beautiful state. I am glad we were able to spend the weekend there. We had such a nice trip.

And now I'm scheming how I can see the next total eclipse in 2024. . .

6 comments:

  1. The 2024 eclipse will pass right over us (Indianapolis). You are welcome to come party with us. We only got 90% coverage on this one and it was cloudy for most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you two got to go!!! And I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thought of the Total Eclipse of the Heart song. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I also travelled to the point of totality and in fact, where we went - Makanda, Illinois - it was the longest point of duration in the entire country! It was beyond amazing - my first total eclipse under perfectly clear skies and I am now hooked and would love to make travel plans for any upcoming ones. I actually much prefer Pink Floyd's Eclipse song ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was amazing!! Way more cool than I thought it would be. I could see myself as an eclipse chaser;) You guys should really come back up and visit!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!