Wednesday, March 29, 2017

on a wednesday


I've been down with a cold all week. The kind of cold that makes your brain feel fuzzy and your limbs feel weak. It hit Stella, too. So we're taking it easy and putting off our chores and work for another day.

I've been replaying the talks from last Saturday's Women's Conference the past few days. They were all so great, but Sister Carol F. McKonkie's talk on holiness really resonated with me. If you have a few minutes today, it's worth a listen.

She says, "Holiness is in the striving and the struggle to keep the commandments and to honor the covenants we have made with God. Holiness is making the choices that will keep the Holy Ghost as our guide. Holiness is setting aside our natural tendencies and becoming a saint through the Atonement of Christ the Lord. Every moment of our lives must be holiness to the Lord."

And, "If we would be holy, we must learn to sit at the feet of the Holy One of Israel and give time to holiness. Do we set aside the phone? The never ending to-do list? The cares of worldliness? Prayer, study, and heeding the word of God invites His cleansing and healing love into our souls. Take time to be holy, that we may be filled with His sacred and sanctifying spirit."

As I have changed some habits and given more of my time to holiness, I have felt an increase in knowledge and peace and love in my life. I know that our Heavenly Father wants to bless us with these things, but we have to seek them. Reading my scriptures everyday, attending the temple as often as I can, and fulfilling my duties at church have helped me to feel His peace.

I am grateful for church leaders who instruct and testify and help me to come closer to my Savior. This weekend is General Conference, two whole days of instruction and testimony, and I am really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're always reading conference talks. I have been wanting to make that a goal; to read them more regularly. But how do you choose? There are so many. Do you select randomly from the online archives or do you reread those you loved?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!