Sunday, November 06, 2016

fast


The first Sunday of every month is fast Sunday in the Mormon church. That means we skip two consecutive meals, donate the money we would have spent on those meals to help the poor, and focus on coming closer to Heavenly Father. Sometimes more than prayer is needed to find the answers we seek. Sometimes we need the combined faith of our family or congregation, unified toward a specific goal or cause. This is when fasting, along with prayer, is helpful. Fasting is something we do to show Heavenly Father that we are willing to sacrifice for needed blessings, to improve our communication with Him, and to improve ourselves.

Today is fast Sunday and I am thankful for the opportunity to unite my prayers and faith with the members in my congregation for a specific purpose. When I fast, I feel like I am more sensitive to the Spirit. I feel like my prayers become more heartfelt and more sincere. When I spend my day focused on finding answers, instead of feeding my body, the answers seem to come more easily. It is a blessing, and one that I am grateful for each month.

(Also, it keeps my kitchen really clean. I am thankful for that, too.)

You can learn more about fasting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!