Monday, October 31, 2016

family


In lieu of a conference report today, I thought I'd share two great quotes about families. This one above is from Elder Maxwell and reminds me of the importance of my role at home. The work I do here is simple and mostly mundane, but it is the most important work of my life.

And if I wasn't already a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I think I'd join just for the visiting teaching program. Every woman in our church is assigned a partner and a few other women to visit and teach. Every month, we are encouraged to visit these sisters in their homes and share a message with them. But it's so much more than that. Friendship and love grows, service is given, and hearts are touched. This month's visiting teaching message included the following quote from Julie B. Beck, the former Relief Society (women's organization) president:

"The creation of the earth provided a place where families could live. God created a man and a woman who were the two essential halves of a family. It was part of Heavenly Father's plan that Adam and Eve be sealed and form an eternal family. The fall made it possible for them to have sons and daughters. Christ's Atonement allows for the family to be sealed together eternally. It allows for families to have eternal growth and perfection. The plan of happiness, also called the plan of salvation, was created for families. This was Christ's doctrine. Without the family, there is no plan; there is no reason for mortal life."

This is it. This is everything. This life at home is the reason I am here. I really believe that! So when I am feeling bogged down, or discouraged, or unappreciated, I am going to come back and reread these quotes. And then I'll get up and get back to work.

For more about the purpose of families, look here.

Pretty graphic from Allison Kimball.


Have a safe Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!