Monday, February 01, 2016

the Family, a Proclamation


We have a humongous copy of The Family: A Proclamation to the World hanging in our house. I hung it in a really prominent place, where we walk by it a million times a day. I did this because I believe that if my family abides by its precepts, we will be happy. And because I want my children to know who they are, where they came from, and what they can do to live a successful, joyful life.

A couple weeks ago, I posted about one of my favorite scriptures, where Lehi is "swallowed up in other things" and so he doesn't notice the filth around him. And last week, I posted Elder Foster's quote that cautions us against letting society "give our family a makeover in the image of the world." If I want my children to know the things I believe about the family, I need to teach them. And The Family: A Proclamation is a great place to start.

One of my favorite parts says, "The family is ordained of God. Marriage between a man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Tonight for Family Home Evening, we'll be reading the Proclamation as a family. I think I'll print a copy for each of my children, and they can highlight their favorite parts. Then we'll talk about them. And then we'll probably eat some cookies. Happy Monday!


You can get a pdf of this large print (20x24) from Mike here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!