Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Mabel's dress


I was sort of relieved when I saw these pictures. Mabel doesn't look as old as I thought she would (or as old as she probably wanted to). Granted, this was pre-hair curling, but still. Sometimes in my head she's nearly grown and out on her own, but really, she's still our girl, even though she is headed to high school next year.

She said the dance was lots of fun. And no one had a dress exactly like hers.

p.s. I used Butterick 3350 for the bodice (in child's size 8 with the sides taken in--Mabel is teeny). I've used that pattern at least a million times. I swapped out the back zipper for a hidden side zipper. Then I used this great website to calculate the measurements for the circle skirt (one layer of jersey knit, one layer of lining, and two layers of chiffon for maximum twirling capabilities).

5 comments:

  1. So, so pretty! Both the dress and the Mabel! But high school? Really? How can that be?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such talent- and use it to make this beautiful dress for your daughter! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its beautiful! And she is stunning. Good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job - the dress is beautiful, as is your daughter! :) So many fun times in the years ahead and I know what you mean - my daughter Sarah has always seemed older than her years, so I forgot a lot of times that she was just still little. She's 20 now, but sometimes it's 20 going on 40 with the way she thinks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dress. Modest and stylish. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!