Monday, July 01, 2013

a mid-summer report


We have just about a month of summer vacation left, and I have a feeling it's going to fly by. I've been so happy with how the summer has gone so far. Despite our near record-breaking heat, we've kept our cool and managed to have a good time. I'm pretty sure the city pools have saved us. We skipped one afternoon at the pool last week, and I couldn't believe how quickly we all dissolved into a big grumpy mess. Swimming gets us out of the house and off of each other's nerves.

Someone asked me how I manage the pool alone with four children. Mabel and Oliver are good swimmers. They stick together and do their own thing. The pool area is small enough for me to be able to spot them wherever I am. Stella and Elliot stay with me in the shallow area. Sometimes Mike comes with us, which of course is way more fun, but if I had to wait for him to come with us every time, we wouldn't be able to go nearly often enough.

I've let a lot of things go this summer. Things like my house cleaning schedule, and bedtimes, and dinner (and we've all been happier for it!), but one thing I haven't given up is quiet time. Elliot still naps everyday, and Stella some days, so we have mandatory quiet/reading time. I love when the house is quiet and books are being read or games are being played and Elliot is snuggling in my bed. These are the moments I will remember.

2 comments:

  1. can you recommend some of the pools in Mesa? My kids were begging to try a new pool today- they are bored with all the ones near us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painting of the little girl with her teddy bear on the wall in the bedroom if one of my favorite little girls. Now just who could that be?????
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!