Thursday, October 25, 2012

German Pancakes


Acceptable breakfasts at our house include: pancakes, french toast, and oatmeal, with waffles on the weekend, pumpkin pancakes when we're feeling festive, and donuts when we're being completely irresponsible. I was happy to re-discover german pancakes last summer and have since added them to our mix. They are a cinch to make, and lend themselves well to lots of different toppings.

German Pancakes

2 tablespoons butter
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is heating up, put the butter into a 9x13 pan and put the pan in the oven until the butter has melted. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a blender, then pour the batter into the warm, buttery pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

We love them with lemon juice + powdered sugar. Or fresh berries + powdered sugar. Or buttermilk syrup. Or regular syrup. Or jam. You get the idea, I think. Delicious!

A note: one 9x13 pan feeds my 4 children and me, if I am lucky. If Mike is breakfasting with us, another half batch is required. 

4 comments:

  1. German pancakes are a staple at our house too! Sunday mornings I have to double the batch because of Ty and me too.

    I want to try the lemon, when we are feeling festive I saute apple slices in butter and place on top : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. These things are addicting! Sometimes I place sliced pears or apples at the bottom of the pan and then pour the batter over them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call them oven pancakes and I love them. The recipe i use calls for a layer of cinnamon and sugar on top of the batter before baking. They taste great and I always have the ingredients on hand. We love them with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum.
    i always forget about german pancakes and how delicious they are.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!