Friday, August 31, 2012

weekend waffles


One of the things I love best about waking up early to exercise is the jump it gives me on my day. When Oliver asked for waffles this morning for breakfast, I had enough time to say yes! Waffles are usually a weekend-only occurrence around here, so it was pretty exciting.

These waffles are the best. They are light and crisp and so very delicious. This morning I put blueberries in mine, then topped them with fresh Utah peaches and a little powdered sugar. It was breakfast heaven.

Best Waffles

1 1/2 cups flour (I use white whole wheat)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup oil (or melted butter, although that makes for a denser waffle)
2 egg yolks

2 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside. Combine the buttermilk, milk, oil, and yolks in a large measuring cup with a fork. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft, glossy peaks form, adding the sugar gradually while mixing. Stir in the vanilla at the end. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Gently fold in the egg whites.

We use a belgian waffle iron, and this recipe makes 6 large waffles. You can keep them warm and crisp in a 200 degree oven until ready to eat. Don't stack them, though, or they will get soggy.

Have a happy weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Those look incredible! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to try. which brand of waffle iron do u use?
    MIne is in storage and I can't find it. (It never really worked that great anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have a waring pro. it's the kid you put the batter in then flip. we love it!

      Delete
  3. They look delish!

    I've never used cornstarch in a waffle recipe before! What does it do for the recipe? I'm curious!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!