Sunday, August 26, 2012

chocolate zucchini cake


Fall is my season. If I close my eyes while I'm eating a bite of this cake, I can pretend that it's November and my windows are open and a cool breeze is blowing through my house. Oh, November, you can't get here soon enough! Until then, I guess this cake will have to do.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 or 3 small zucchinis, grated
3/4 cup chocolate chips
powdered sugar for dusting

Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then mix in eggs, oil, and buttermilk until combined. Stir in grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes in a well-greased pan in a 350 degree oven.

Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
 
It's so moist and chocolatey, but I think it's the bit of cinnamon that makes it a real winner.

recipe adapted slightly from allrecipes

My sister-in-law, Ginger, made another version of this cake here. If I'd had apple butter, I would have given her's a try. It sounds delicious!

10 comments:

  1. Where did u get that amazing cake stand?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pumpkin muffins yesterday in a fit of fall-neediness. Looks like we're on the same page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy-sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some zucchinis in the frig, and I found a recipe for chocolate zucchini bread. But this looks SO good. I'm making it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chocolate zucchini cake! My version is quite a bit different though. I made one last week and Keith & I ate the whole thing in 24 hours! I love the shape of your cake and how pretty it looks dusted with powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was rich and yummy! Elliot didn't finish his, so I helped him out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful!!
    I am with you fall is my favorite time of year!! I am on count down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to bake myself happy tonight (lots of sadness among some of my friends this week) and this cake is cooling on my kitchen counter. Your recipes never disappoint. It's still cooling so I think I'll have it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope it made for a happy morning, ellen.

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!