Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pumpkin Bread









3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients.
3. Pour into two greased bread pans.
4. Bake for one hour.

If you are going to make one pumpkin treat this season, make this bread. Next to Marie Callender's Pumpkin Pie (which I eat year round), this is by far my favorite. The recipe comes from my great Aunt Lucille. My sister, Leslie, likes to serve it with cream cheese frosting. It is good plain, but for an extra treat, here is the frosting recipe:

Cream Cheese Frosting
2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

1. Beat cream cheese and vanilla until fluffy.
2. Add sugar. Beat until smooth.

5 comments:

  1. you know it's gonna be good when it calls for 3 cups of sugar and one cup of oil. i'm making my first batch sometime this week. as soon as i get some cream cheese. mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really, one cup of oil? Can I substitute applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can, ginger. i've never tried it, but i'm sure you COULD, if you were really that concerned. but you shouldn't be. it's the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm. thank you for all the wonderful recipes. i hope i can make something before i leave this week. and i really want to see you before i leave, too. i'll call you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have given me pumpkin fever! I actually bought pumpkin ice cream yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!