Saturday, April 08, 2006

Our Kitchen

before


the lowered ceiling before


the chandelier before



after

The previous owners had decided to redo the kitchen before they decided to move, so we were the lucky recipients of a brand new kitchen and appliances. All we had to do was raise the ceilings, replace the light fixtures, put in pot lights, and paint the walls, doors, and trims. I love it. Mike and I don't agree about the light situation, though. I want to get rid of the two flourescents in the middle (They aren't even hooked up. Our electrician took the power from them and used it for the pot lights.) but Mike doesn't think the pot lights lend enough light to the space. Who's on my side?

Next on the agenda is to replace the very old and worn parque floors with tile. But first we need to finish moving in. We love our new house. It feels so huge! I feel very blessed and very spoiled to be here, but I am truly grateful. There is nothing like owning a home, especially a home that you have fixed up yourself. Renting last year in Ladera Ranch totally makes me appreciate the fact that this home is ours. Now I can't imagine ever living anywhere else.

16 comments:

  1. My vote is totally with you, Stephanie, so long flourescent lights! It looks so good, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is totally with you, Stephanie, so long flourescent lights! It looks so good, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so great! Awesome work.
    I have to agree, it is really frustrating to not have enough light in a room, but the flourescent lights just aren't doing it for the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, the raised ceiling makes a huge difference. I bet you're so glad you did that! It's so pretty, love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is way better than hgtv. the afters are far more stunning! keep the photos coming. i'm in love with your home and hope to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. steph! the kitchen looks way huger and more open - it's amazing! and i also agree with you on the lights, they were the first thing i noticed - but not in a good way! ha! but it's seriously incredible! good job man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it, love it, love it....again, wanna do my house? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic. What a drastic difference. Beautiful & classy where it was a bit 70s. Nice paint color. I say the more light the better, though I am not a big flouresent fan. And as for tile I would have to say, go with porcelain for the kitchen floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should just try using your kitchen at night to see if you wish you had more light. Of course you don't need them during the day - You live in the valley of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay this is hilarious, your kitchen looks exactly like mine!!! P.S., lose the useless fixtures. They don't fit in and don't work anyway! If Mike wants more lights you could add some under the cabinents. I will post a pic of my kitchen in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The question is, who will be in the kitchen more... you or Mike? It looks fab by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Very nice! I found a place where you can
    make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
    and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, spam in a blog comment. That totally sucks. Is nothing sacred?

    The kitchen looks great. I really like the paint. I don't think the fixtures look out of place at all. If it was me, I'd leave them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh - I like the under-the-cabinet light idea. I always like how those look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. grammy4:52 PM

    Wow it looks great but the ceiling useless light must go-sorry Mike.
    Big job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. steph, you have such talent. i admire you so much. i LOVE every single thing you have done. i could take or leave the lights because every thing else is so perfect. i love the color of the walls the most.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!