Friday, January 22, 2016

happy weekend


My heart has been really heavy this week. A young family in my neighborhood lost their little girl in an accident just two blocks away from our house and then the very next morning welcomed a brand new baby boy. I can't even imagine the difficulty of their situation. I don't know why some of us are called to endure such tremendous things. But I know that peace can come, even in those hardest moments. We can find comfort through our Savior, Jesus Christ. He is there to buoy us up, always.

I love this quote from Joseph B. Wirthlin: "I think of how dark that Friday was when Christ was lifted up on the cross. But the doom of that Friday did not endure. The despair did not linger, because on Sunday the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death. Each of us will have our own Fridays, those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death, Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come."

The Eager family and the driver of the car have been in our prayers non-stop. If you feel so inclined, please add them to your prayers as well, or you can donate to their relief here.

I can't help but soak up the sights and sounds of my children a little more and squeeze them a little tighter. I feel fortunate to have this life, this family, this neighborhood, and my faith. It has been incredible to see everyone rally around this young family (and the driver, too!). It has given me a greater love for mankind. We are all in this together, you see, and despite our differences we can love and support and pray for each other.

It has made me want to freeze time a bit, too, and has definitely helped me recognize what is most important. We spent some time as a family at the tennis courts last night, breaking in our new ball machine. It was relaxing and easy and happy. I love this photo because it is an accurate description of our Stella. If she is near Mike, she is leaning on him or hugging him. I hope it's something she never outgrows and I was happy to capture it last night.

Let's all have a good weekend! Let's love each other better and be grateful for our happiness (and maybe drive a little slower, too). I know I will.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the Eager story on FB. That's so sad. On a different note, I made some of your energy balls last night and I'm eating one right now (late breakfast).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Stella is officially the sweetest. And that is tragic. That poor family, that poor driver and the weight of that accident. Glad to know people are rallying behind them all - but my goodness. I can't imagine going through childbirth hours after losing a child. Incredible. Love you, Steph!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!