Friday, January 08, 2016

happy weekend


Oh man, I'm glad this week is over. It's been sort of a wash. Mike and I have gone back and forth all week, taking turns feeling yucky. Luckily none of the kids have gotten it, but it's like the stomach bug that won't quit. So hopefully this weekend will bring better health and more energy to our house. And maybe some sunshine, too! It's been rainy and gray everyday, which is a nice change for these parts, but I miss the sun. I can't believe I just said that.

One highlight from the week: I met my friend, Julie, for lunch at my favorite antique store/cafe and found that pretty floral oil painting (and got some chocolate croissants, too, of course). When I go to thrift or antique stores, I always look for three things: white dishes, real paintings, and small tables/stools. Otherwise, I can feel really overwhelmed. If I stick to those three things, I have a really fun time poking through all of the other junk to find what I'm looking for.

I guess another good thing about feeling sick all week is that I've been making great headway in my book. I'm reading The Winter Sea for the second time and loving it just as much as the first. It is romantic and historic and clean and just a really fun read. I had gotten a big load of books from the library, but they all felt heavy, so I sent them back and picked this from my shelf to read instead. Sometimes I just want something easy, you know? Have you read anything good lately?

Here's to a good weekend!


Teeny painting of baby Jesus that is too pretty to display only at Christmastime by Beth Allen.

2 comments:

  1. Yuck! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. Nothing makes you appreciate your health more than having sick days. I hope you are rid of it soon.
    Last month I read The Bullet by Mary Louise Kelly. Its over 300 pages and I read it in one day- it was so riveting, I could not put it down. I'm currently in the middle of The Lake House by Kate Morton, and I am really enjoying it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband doesn't get how I can sometimes read two books a week when he's slogging through another Cormac McCarthy...EASY BOOKS, duh! I read The Winter Sea last time you blogged about it and I loved it too! I wanted another similar one but I haven't found another like it enough (that our small library carries). Have you read Girl Waits With Gun? It came out last year. It's based on a true story and is great.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!