Saturday, January 03, 2009

It's lemon season in my backyard.

Just look at all of those pretty lemons we picked yesterday.

Fresh lemons mean that I have to make my favorite cake.
And because I like you, I will share the recipe.

Sour Cream Lemon Pound Cake
3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons lemon extract
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
1 (8oz) carton sour cream
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray and dust with the breadcrumbs.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the granulated sugar and lemon extract, beating until well-blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add grated lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat 30 seconds. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over top of cake.

from Cooking Light ages ago

This cake is nice and soft, dense, and so delicious. If you like lemon flavored treats, you must try this! We had it for breakfast this morning.

18 comments:

  1. Oh me oh my! This looks very similar to my favorite pound cake except more lemony; yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm.... adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy- have som,e lemons-think I will make it.
    Love and Hugs
    grammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, I miss my little lemon tree!
    Thanks for the recipe, I may need to have Elliott pick up some lemons on his way home from swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. some day i want fruit trees in my yard. that cake looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks- this looks so good! I'll trade you some pink grapefruit for some lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous of your tree! We just got home from Arizona were we got to have fresh grapefruit. Your cake looks very yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your gingerbread recipe saved the day on christmas eve. (can't remember if i told you yet) so THANK YOU, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like the perfect breakfast! We have quite a few Meyer lemons still on our tree. I'll have to try the recipe and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh that sounds nice to have a lemon tree... or anything that could grow this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth is watering. A lemon-y flavored dessert sounds like just the thing to chase away the post-holiday blues. No one can be sad eating lemon cake, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can personally attest to its delectable-ness ... I ate some yesterday and want more today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks SO good - one of my fondest memories of living in AZ was the plentiful citrus fruit...sure makes me miss it more when it's FREEZING here in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and talented mom you are! Can't wait to do that jean trick. I am totally pulling out the sowing machine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am making this tonight - can't wait! I just wish I was making it with lemons from my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!