Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I have a thing for soft cookies.


I am getting ready for Mike's office party tomorrow night by baking lots and lots of cookies. This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. They have a hint of lemon and stay nice and soft and puffy. They are delicious.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
1 c sugar
1/3 c butter, softened
1/4 c shortening
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 egg
2 2/3 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c sour cream

1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream sugar, butter, and shortening. Add lemon extract and egg; mix well.

3. Add dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, alternating with the sour cream.

4. Divide dough into 2 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

6. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until almost no indention remains when touched.

I'm not going to lie, this dough is hard to work with. Even after it has been chilled, it is still pretty gooey. I tried the nifty plastic wrap rolling tip, but I think the dough could benefit from the extra flour you pick up when rolling the old fashioned way. Also, I don't think any of my batches were done in 7-8 minutes. (It was more like 10 minutes.) It totally depends on what kind of pan you are using, and how thick you roll them. Just keep a close eye on them. When they are the slightest bit golden on the edges, they are done. They might be a pain, but they are totally worth it. I hope there are some left for the party tomorrow night. :)

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh I am glad to have this recipe! The sugar cookies I always make turn out not-as-soft but they do have lemon extract in them too, which I love.

    Will you be frosting them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. your granite is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're killing me with all these cookie recipes, steph! i still haven't even made gingerbread men yet. lame of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the part where i confess my total dislike of sugar cookies.

    i systematically decline them.

    and i LOATHE making them. Give me a good old-fashioned choc chip anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are coming to the party! Except...we don't know what time! haha! Can you e-mail me at larthestar23 "at" hotmail "dot" com?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have cookie recipes??? Where have you been for Sweet Saturdays? We've missed you :)

    There are 2 more Saturdays in Dec if you want to sign up or just leave me a comment and I'll add you to the Sweet Saturday Sweethearts list that will link to your blog. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I thinkI need to buy some sour cream. I've got a lot of cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!