Monday, March 03, 2008

Recipe of the Week

It's Monday night.
We (and by we I mean Mike) haven't gone to the grocery store yet this week.
So we're pretty much out of food.
That means we're having pancakes for dinner.
At least they're whole wheat, right?


Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat germ or oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. In a food processor or in a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, white flour, wheat germ or oats, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt.

2. Cut the butter into small pieces with a knife, and add the butter to the flour-mixture. Mix until the mixture has a sand-like consistency.

3. Make a well in the center of the flour-butter mixture, and add the buttermilk and eggs. Stir until the liquids are fully incorporated.

4. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and grease the surface with 1 tablespoon of butter or oil. Ladle the batter onto the surface to form 4 inch pancakes. Once bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, flip them over, and cook them on the other side for about 2 minutes.

I thought the batter was a bit runny, so I added more flour. I also added some blueberries and chocolate chips (though not together, obviously). They were totally delicious and didn't even taste like they were made from the 30 year old wheat we inherited from my parents' food storage supply.

Mel, this is for you:

13 comments:

  1. oliver is so good to still wear a bib. i can't get miles to wear one to save his life.
    and is that a ponytail in mabel's hair?? maybe in sundance she'll let me try the braids we discussed in january. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that food storage wheat is still edible. Amazing. Is it safe to eat things that are older than you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? from our OLD wheat, impressive. Can't wait for this week and Sundance to follow. Very very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum - those pancakes sound so good. thanks for the recipe.

    love that baby's face. so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey~ We eat pancakes for dinner around here too: ) Breakfast for dinner is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think buttermilk is the secret to yummy pancakes. I'll have to try this recipe. It looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Steph... when you have a spare moment (haha) ca you email me and let me know what kind of wheat grinder you have?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you! i just love her! you kiss her for me all the time when i'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a food-processor-deficient person, would this also work in a blender? We had a demonstration of whole wheat pancakes at enrichment last week too and I'm so excited to have a new idea of what to do with my wheat! Although my kids don't love wheat bread, I think they'd do okay with wheat pancakes - especially as long as they're nice and syrupy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh - thank you - I didn't read carefully - at enrichment the lady actually started with wheat (not wheat flour) and ground it up in her blender with a little liquid, then added the other ingredients - yummy!

    And I do hope Miss Mabel's feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently aquired a fantastic pancake recipe that tastes more like crepes. I'll have to try this one too especially since it sounds much more nutritious. Love that bottom picture of Stella too. Oh, and I love the name Stella more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steph- We made these this morning with blueberries and they were so good! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!