Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Chirrp, Chirrp


This is a picture of the smoke alarm in our bedroom. It decided that it needed a new battery last night-- in the middle of the night. It started making the chirrping noise every few minutes at about one o'clock in the morning. Of course Mike had no trouble sleeping (and snoring) through it. I, on the other hand, woke up every time it chirrped. It seemed like I would just be falling asleep after waking up from the last chirrping when it would chirrp again. I nudged Mike. He got up, half asleep, went downstairs to get a new battery, pulled our ottoman over so he could stand on it, and replaced the battery. I couldn't believe it. He did it without a word and was soon back in bed, sawing logs. What a guy!

This reminded me of a story my parents used to tell about when they were first married. They were living in their trailer at the BYU married student trailer park and it was raining. My mom, who is the world's lightest sleeper, couldn't sleep because the water was dripping outside and making some noise. It was the middle of the night and my dad went outside and hung some fabric between two chairs to catch the drip and silence the sound. Whenever I heard that story I dreamed about the day that I would have a husband like that. It looks like I found him!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 PM

    yes a great story that brings back lots of memories. dad is the best and it sounds like mike might be a close second.love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to us last night and I knew what I was in for after reading this post. Unfortunately, we did not have a battery so Ryan took out the old battery and made the funniest covering just in case it kept going off...at 330am!! Husbands are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From generation to generation.....

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!