Monday, September 17, 2012

Buttermilk Cake


My friend, Sara, shared a slice of this cake with me last week and it sort of changed my life. It was warm from her oven, sweet and light, with a hint of lemon. It was so good that my kids and I ate the slice, every crumb, in about 2 seconds flat. I immediately begged her for the recipe.

I happily brought it to Sunday dinner last night. I swapped the shortening for butter and the lemon extract (my bottle was dry!) for lemon juice. It has a nice crust, was moist inside, and would be great paired with just about anything. I chose raspberries and peaches.

I love cakes like this. Thank you Sara!

p.s. My cake was done baking after an hour, not the hour and 15 minutes that is called for in the recipe.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds just like my recipe for my lemon buttermilk pound cake. I love that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! Every time I make it, I have to give some away or else I'll eat every piece myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good. Thank you, Sara and Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must have fantastic self control! If I baked as much as you I would weight 300lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so yummy. Good ol' Aunt Jessie produced a winner! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, all your desserts look so amazing. You should open a bakery. You could call it barefoot in the kitchen even. I would go every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been so long since I've taken the time to read blogs and I've missed so much!

    So here we go:
    Happy belated birthday to you, pretty lady! I hope it was lovely.
    Congratulations to your Oliver on his big day. Owen will be baptized early next month and is so excited he can hardly stand it.
    This cake will be made this week. I have a weakness for cake and lemon so it's really not a question of if, just when.

    Happy almost fall! xo.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!