Friday, February 03, 2017

happy weekend


It's the time of year when the citrus is ready to be picked and juiced. Yesterday I juiced a few bags of oranges and my house smelled so fresh for the rest of the day. We got so many lemons this year! I used to freeze the juice to make lemonade all year long, but do you know what's in lemonade? Lots and lots of sugar, so I don't make it as often anymore, and now our main use of the lemons is to squeeze them on top of our Sunday morning german pancakes. Must research how to use more lemons (outside of my favorite lemon deserts: warm lemon pudding cake, lemon cakelemon squares, and lemon poppy seed muffins).

Thanks to your comments, I tried a few new recipes this week. Rollup Blender Pancakes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe were probably the biggest hit (even though they were for breakfast and not dinner). We also tried Mel's 30-Minute Quinoa Enchilada Skillet (Mabel and I loved it), Our Best Bite's Black Bean Soup and Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos. I would make them all again. Thank you! Oh, and we brought these Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins to Sunday dinner and they were gone in a flash.

I printed out lots more recipes from those sites to try next week, too. Hurray!

This is the best time of year to be in Arizona, so we are going to do our best to soak it up this weekend. Yard work is on our to-do list, and hopefully we'll actually do it instead of loafing around like we usually do on Saturdays. Ha!

Have a happy one!

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine picking lemons from my yard (and especially so in February since obviously February in Illinois is anything but warm weather, lol). It's presently 24 degrees out (feels like 16 with the wind) but it's a bright, beautiful sunshiny day and I'm heading out soon for my 4 mile. I checked out the recipes you listed and printed a couple. For me, the issue is that I need calorie count and so many of these sites/recipes don't include them. Even though I no longer write down the calories, I do always still keep track in my head and am ever mindful of keeping my daily count low. I rarely do fun desserts like those lemon ones listed. :) I'm not a youngster like you and therefore I have to continually keep myself right on track to stay how I am now.

    Happy weekend to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely photo! Thank you for sharing it with this northerner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a recipe for panko-crusted salmon on annie's eats that calls for lemon zest. My family loves it. I have citrus envy with your lemon haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can use lemon juice for homemade cleaners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my own cleaners with lemons and I also love this lemon recipe. http://ourbestbites.com/2008/09/lemon-herb-zucchini-fettuccine/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freeze excess lemons whole in a ziploc. When you need fresh juice just microwave for 10 seconds or let thaw for about 10.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!