Monday, September 19, 2016

a small piece of good advice


I have lots of experience parenting small children, but when it comes to my older kids, I am in uncharted waters. Most of the time I wonder if I am doing it right. I found this little bit of wisdom from President Monson helpful, and wanted to pass it on.

He said, "Give your child a compliment and a hug; say, 'I love you' more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."

I think my kids are the best, really and truly. But do I tell them that I feel that way? Do I ever say thank you for being kind and obedient and helpful? Probably not often enough. We have a tendency towards sarcasm at our house, and I think we need to make a greater effort to be sincere in our compliments and affection, even when it doesn't come naturally. It's a good goal for a new week.


Lots of other, good snippets of advice from President Monson about fostering love at home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!