Tuesday, May 10, 2016

reverence and revelation


I taught sunday school last Sunday to my class of 15 year olds, and my topic was the relationship between reverence and revelation. As part of our lesson, we studied Boyd K. Packer's 1991 address, Reverence Invites Revelation.

I wanted to share a few of my favorite parts. Elder Packer said:

"Inspiration comes more easily in peaceful settings. Such words as quiet, still, peaceable, Comforter abound in the scriptures: 'Be still, and know that I am God.' (Psalm 46:10.) Elijah felt a great wind, an earthquake, a fire. The Lord was not in any of them; then came 'a still small voice.' (1 Kings 19:12.)"

To learn more about revelation, and how we can receive it, I watched this video with my class. We watched it for Family Home Evening last night, too:


Another good thought from Elder Packer:

"No one of us can survive in the world today, much less in what it soon will become, without personal inspiration. The spirit of reverence can and should be evident in every organization in the Church and in the lives of every member. . . While we may not see an immediate, miraculous transformation, as surely as the Lord lives, a quiet one will take place. The spiritual power in the lives of each member and in the Church will increase. The Lord will pour out his Spirit upon us more abundantly. We will be less troubled, less confused. We will find revealed answers to personal and family problems without all the counseling which we seem now to need."

I know that the world can be a noisy place, but when I actively seek quiet time for reflection or study or prayer, I feel the Spirit more. When I am reverent in my thoughts and actions, I am better able to discern and receive revelation. In his talk, Elder Packer likened the noise of the world to the preparations of an attacking commander. He said, "The first order issued by a commander mounting a military invasion is the jamming of the channels of communication of those he intends to conquer." If I am jamming my channel of communication with Heavenly Father with too much noise or too much busyness, how am I going to hear the direction He wants to give me? This talk was a good reminder for me to slow down, to be still, and to listen.


Read the entire talk here.
Photo of the very peaceful and quiet Jardin des Tuileries in Paris a couple weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!