Monday, May 09, 2016

in celebration of women


I love Mother's Day because it is a celebration of all women, whether they have birthed babies or not. I love this quote from Neal A. Maxwell: "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time."

Here's to women everywhere, who are making a difference in their homes and neighborhoods, who are caring for those who need so much care. Good work, women. Keep it up!

I realized long ago that the secret to a happy Mother's Day for me is to keep it business as usual. I don't want breakfast in bed. I don't want gifts. I just want to go about my usual motherly duties, but I try to do it with a heart full of a little more gratitude than usual for the opportunity to mother these special people. It works every time and I ended my day yesterday counting my blessings.

I hope your day was a happy one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!