Wednesday, January 14, 2015

2015: the year I got rid of the throw pillows


I had this silly realization earlier this month: Just because I have collected lots of throw pillows doesn't mean that I need to use them all. Dumb, right? But I can't tell you how good it felt to put half of them in a closet and close the door. Our whole house feels lighter and cleaner without them.

It made me wonder where else I could simplify. And just like that a resolution was born! This year I want to get down to my bare bones - in my thoughts, in my deeds, and in my things. I want to find out what I really like and stick to it. I mean, could I go for a significant amount of time just wearing my favorite gray tops and jeans? Or could I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday? How about cutting down my obligations to the things that benefit my family the most, and skipping the rest? I think what appeals to me about this idea is that it could possibly free up my mind and my time for things that are more important (so long as I don't become consumed by the process).

According to Mike, vague desires can't actually be called goals until they are measurable, so I have some work yet to do, but I like the way this is shaping up.

Also, it sounds like I might be ready for another go at minimalism.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I identify with this so much! I named 2015 "They Year of Less" for me. Less stuff, less media, less yelling, less impulse spending, less processed food, less rushing, less comparing...hopefully less baby weight ;) Life is too short to fill it up with stuff that's just not important.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!