Sunday, January 08, 2006

Wanted: Washer and Dryer


Years ago when our grandmothers prepared to do the family wash, they first had to spend hours making their own soap. Then they would have to haul water by buckets from the well, chop wood for a fire, and then labor hard and long to clean the clothes with the aid of the harsh soap and a scrubbing board. Our grandmothers' washday was a long, exhausting one.

Just think, all that many of us have to do is turn a knob and push a button!

An Ideal Homemaker

I always wear my poofy skirted house dress, cute little apron, and heels when I do the laundry. I always have a huge smile on my face, too. What with modern technology as advanced as it is, doing laundry is hardly a chore at all!

Actually, I have to admit that I like doing laundry. While I may not be dressed quite so well as my alter ego above, there is a nice feeling associated with making dirty things clean and putting them in their place.

Because we are moving, we need to buy a washer and dryer. I have seen some good deals on Craigslist.com (I am obsessed with craigslist!), but I have yet to take the plunge. It is such a large expense. Do I want the basic no-frills top loading washer, or would a fancy new-fangled front loader be better? Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Help!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:45 PM

    I'm not sure if your purchase is complete, but i've heard pretty bad reviews (from my mother-in-law and aunt-in-law) about front load washers. They take longer than the dryer to run, and they don't clean as well.

    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say buy a regular washer and dryer... save your money for something fun... like matching his and hers towels! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!