Wednesday, December 21, 2016

the babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes


I shared some of this last year, but I love it so much, I think it needs to be shared again.

From Elder Christofferson:

"When we talk about the birth of Jesus Christ, we appropriately reflect on what was to follow. His birth was infinitely significant because of the things He would experience and suffer so that He might better succor us--all culminating in His Crucifixion and Resurrection. But His mission also included the beauty of His service, the miracles of His ministry, the relief He brought to the suffering, and the joy He offered--and still offers--to the mourning.

"With all of that to come, though, I think it's appropriate this time of year to just think about that baby in the manger. Don't be too overwhelmed or occupied with what is to come; just think about that little baby. Take a quiet, peaceful moment to ponder the beginning of His life--the culmination of heavenly prophecy but the earthly beginning for Him.

"Take time to relax, be at peace, and see this little child in your mind. Do not be too concerned or overwhelmed with what is coming in His life or in yours. Instead, take a peaceful moment to contemplate perhaps the most serene moment in the history of the world--when all of heaven rejoiced with the message 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

I'm about to leave for a run, and while I am running, I am going to try hard to think about that little baby. There are a million things I can be doing today--cleaning my house, last minute errands, working on a sewing job, etc. But I am going to set those things aside, at least for a little while, and focus on that quiet and small moment in the history of the world, when a little babe was born in an insignificant town, long, long ago.

As Elder Christofferson recommends, I am going to "sit (or in my case, run) for a few quiet moments and let the Savior's Spirit warm you and reassure you of the worthiness of your service, of your offering, of your life. Sit quietly with that little baby and come away spiritually strengthened and better prepared for all that is going to come later. Let that moment be one of rest and refreshing and reassurance and renewal."

Happy Wednesday, friends.


My favorite painting, a gift, of course from the talented Beth Allen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this today. We are in the middle of some big life decisions, and my heart has been filled with fear and confusion and joy and hopefulness and sadness and everything in between. I needed to "hear" this tonight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!