Wednesday, August 03, 2016

saying no to screens


The other day Elliot was begging and begging to watch a show on the iPad. I said no. And no. And no. And guess what? He didn't die. :) Actually, just a few minutes after his hopes of screen time were dashed, I found him on the kitchen floor happily making a welcome home banner for our girls who had been in Utah, all by himself, completely of his own accord. And then I knew that I needed to write this down so that next time he begs for a show, I can remember that saying no isn't the end of the world and that most likely, within moments, he will have found something (usually much more creative) to do with himself. I know this. But sometimes it's easy to forget.

Sort of related: I am back to using my iPhone. I need to tell you all about it.

4 comments:

  1. That's neat! :)
    I think I'm probably one of the least enthusiastic phone users. I do have an older iPhone but I'm never impressed with the photo quality (I use my regular camera for anything I want to do in my art), and I still rarely ever use my phone except for the occasional text to my 20 year-old daughter or a friend. I hate talking on the phone (always have), so you'll never see me with my phone up to my ear. I know that by the time I retire in just a few years (and I'm only 51), I will be back to my old ways with the phone which is "turned off - in my purse". I've never understood the fascination with these gadgets, but that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about the phone story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be happy you said no♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only let the kids use screens after chores, reading and lunch. Now that school has started my husband and I instituted a no-screens during the school week policy (unless it's for homework), only Friday's and Saturdays. They think we are the meanest parents ever, I want the badge to prove it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!