Friday, May 27, 2016

happy weekend


Summer break starts today! Yay! These kids worked really hard this school year, and we are excited to take a break from the hustle of the daily routine. I thought I was definitely going to sleep in this morning, but my eyes popped open at 6:00 on the dot, just like they always do.

I've had two thoughts about summer break and I want to write them down so I hold myself accountable. They are:

I'd like the kids (with my help) to make our big meal each day. During the summer, lunch is our big meal. At the beginning of the week, we'll sit down together and decide what they'd like to make. Everyone will have an assigned day. We will look for a recipe, make a shopping list, and go to the store together. Some of them (Mabel) are very excited about this. Cooking with my kids has never been easy for me, but I think it will be very beneficial, so I am going to try my hardest to be patient. Hopefully they will learn some skills and become a little more comfortable and independent in the kitchen.

Second, I sort of want to throw all of our devices/computer away for the summer. I've learned from my friend Sarah that it's easier that way. I'm not ready to make them disappear completely, but I'd like to lay down some rules about their usage. I'm thinking no access at all during the day, and then a little time in the evening as we wind down. I need to give it a little more thought. Like all kids, if I let them, they'd be glued to them all day. And frankly, I would be, too. We're all in this together, and our brains need time to read or think or imagine. Devices get in the way of that.

But first, I'm watching my four nieces and nephews for a week starting tomorrow, so these things will have to wait. I can only handle so much, you know?

Have a happy long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!