Tuesday, March 15, 2016

pie for pi day


Yesterday was March 14th--Pi day for all the nerds out there! So Mabel and I baked a pie. I know apple pie isn't very springy, but it sure hit the spot.

We used the very highly rated and extremely popular Grandma Ople's Apple Pie recipe from allrecipes.com.

You'll need:

enough dough for a 9 inch deep dish double crust pie (I try to keep frozen pie crust in my chest freezer at all times. I decided long ago that homemade pie crust wasn't my thing, and frozen crust is such a snap.)

1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water

6-8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Stir in the flour to form a paste. Add the sugars and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, get your bottom crust in the dish and ready your apples. Toss the apples with the cinnamon, then pile in the pie. Lattice the top crust.

Very slowly and carefully pour the sugar and butter liquid over the top of the pie. You don't want it to run off. It should coat the top of the pie, but also drip into all of the holes in the lattice, as well.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 35-45 more minutes.


Best, crisp, non-soggy apple pie I've ever eaten in all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!