Tuesday, February 16, 2016

how to have a good weekend


Why can't all weekends be three day weekends? Oh man, this weekend was so, so nice. I am sitting here, trying to figure out what made it feel so special. For my own future reference, this is what I've come up with:

No Obligations - We didn't have anything on our schedule. Aside from Sunday meetings, we didn't have to be anywhere or do anything. The whole weekend was wide open. That doesn't happen very often, but I am going to make more of an effort in the future to give our weekends more downtime.

lots of Family Time - We spent nearly every waking moment together as a family, starting with a Saturday morning tennis session, and including yard work and a sibling sleepover in the girls' room.

not much Computer Time - A few weeks ago, I made a new family rule: no computers on Sundays. I can't tell you what a difference this has made in our home! Instead of being scattered through the house, everyone doing their own thing (whether on a computer or not), everyone seems to stick together on Sundays now. I'll find the kids downstairs playing games together. Or drawing together. Or reading together.

a Date Night - No weekend is complete without a date night. Mike and I had a low-key evening with some mexican food. Setting aside time for the two of us is important for our whole family.

Exercise - We played tennis, we rode bikes, we went for a walk, and we worked together in the yard. Everyday had some sort of physical exercise.

Good Weather - Good weather just makes everything easier. That's all there is to it.

and some Time with Friends, too - Because there wasn't anywhere we had to be, there was time for everyone to play with friends. Oliver ended up at the park with about 15 other kids from our neighborhood for a pick up game of football (and soccer, too, I think). Mabel had a baking session with her bestie. And Stella had a sleepover with her cousin.

I am starting this new week feeling really rested and really calm, and that feels really, really good. (It helps that it's already Tuesday. :) I hope you had a nice weekend, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!