Thursday, January 28, 2016

happy weekend


I'm checking out early this week. I have some sewing to do, and some rocks to spread in our backyard. But before I go kill my back with the wheelbarrow, here are a few links I've seen this week that made a big impact on me--all relating to parenting. I hope you'll find them as helpful as I did.

My sister, Leslie, has always spoken very highly of Dr. Leonard Sax. He has written a few books about parenting. He talks about his latest, "The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups", in the pod cast on KERA's Think, called "Your Friend, Your Kid." I highly recommend listening to this podcast. I agreed with everything Dr. Sax said. A few of my favorite points: parents shouldn't negotiate with their kids, cancel the playdates and schedule time with family instead, and children should not have cell phones. Thank you, Dr. Sax! I can't wait to read his book.

My friend, Sarah, writes at Memories on Cloverlane. I loved her most recent post. She is so wise. In reference to being focused at home, she said, "I have learned I must keep my world very small right now to feel settled and happy." Yes! I totally agree. Keeping the outside world at bay, and far away from the walls of my living room, helps me to keep my focus here at home, where my attention can make a great difference in four very important lives--the lives of my children.

Sarah linked to this article, about a mother, now 90, who raised her nine children (four sets of twins!) back in the 60s. Dr. Sax talked about this idea a bit, too, but I loved that the mother, Vivian, said, "My husband and I had similar values -- we talked a lot about what was best for our children and the decisions we made, we made together. It was never about what we read, what the new research showed, or what other parents were doing. It was about our children and what we thought was best."

And finally, Elder Bradley D. Foster's talk from our last General Conference, entitled, "It's Never Too Early and It's Never Too Late". He said, "In the past, the world competed for our children's energy and time. Today, it fights for their identity and mind. Many loud and prominent voices are trying to define who our children are and what they should believe. We cannot let society give our family a makeover in the image of the world." He then gives counsel on how it is never too late or too early to teach our children--to lead, guide, and walk beside them. I loved his talk and hope you'll take a few minutes to read it.

Mike and I joined with so many wonderful people from our neighborhood this week with candles to light the way home for the Eagar family, as they returned from the viewing of their little girl who passed away last week. It was a really special experience, one that made me really happy to live where we live, and really grateful to know that families can be forever. Then we squished on his bike and rode home.

Have a happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. So many great reminders and such wonderful inspiration for parents. I loved that conference talk and I also loved Sarah's post on Clover Lane. I cannot wait to listen to the podcast and read from Dr. Sax. Your little corner of the web never fails to inspire me and to remind me to slow down and focus on what's really important. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always glad we are friends, but when I read things like this, I am especially glad. You are so great at all of these things and you help me to be a better mom.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!