Friday, December 11, 2015

happy weekend


The kids had full reign over the Christmas tree this year and I think it looks fantastic. After I strung the lights and my grandmother's old beaded garlands, they put on the ornaments. Every single handmade and sentimental ornament made the cut, but not one of the pretty red or gold decorative balls. Ha! I guess having a fancy Christmas tree isn't our thing. I'll file that idea away under "things I used to think I'd care about when I was a mom", right next to coordinated outfits for my kids and elaborate gift wrapping. Do you have a list like that?

This weekend is all about finishing up last-minute Christmas things. We're going out of town the week before Christmas, and I don't want to have to worry about a thing while we're gone. Mabel and I need to nail down recipes for our neighbor gifts. We need to find something to give to our wonderful teachers. We need to listen to Oliver and the rest of the fifth graders murder their orchestra concert. And we need to donate the toys our kids picked out for children who won't have a Christmas otherwise. Lots to do, but all good things, so I am excited.

What's on your Christmas prep list this weekend?

Have a good one!

p.s. A little Nat King Cole to get you in the Christmas spirit.

3 comments:

  1. I used to care about having a nice matchy matchy tree- and now, just don't care. My kids put on the ornaments and rearrange them regularly. It makes the season special for them- and that is what really counts!
    Good Luck getting all your "stuff" done before your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to pop in and thank you for being both realistic and upbeat. It's such a refreshing combination and I admire your mothering so much! You seem to really know how to focus on what matters long-term in building eternal relationships with your family. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just nailed this Christmas Season for me too... So much still to do! I'm feeling overwhelmed, but your here being realistic but positive... Thank you!x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!