Tuesday, March 31, 2015

on being a good mother


I've had some thoughts about motherhood swirling in my head lately, and this seems like a good place to set them down.

I want to be a good mom. I think you probably do, too. It is easy for me to get caught up in the day to day responsibilities required of a mother, and to think that because I am doing these things, then I am fulfilling my role. I clean, I cook, I get kids ready for school. I do a lot of laundry. I drive to piano lessons, I cheer at t-ball games. I make sure homework is finished. These things are important, of course, but maybe they aren't the most important.

If I want to be a good mother, instead of focusing so much of my energy on the physical aspects of my job, I think I need to focus more on the spiritual. Specifically my spiritual well being. Am I reading my scriptures? Am I being diligent in my prayers? Am I keeping my covenants? Am I looking for opportunities to serve? Am I following Jesus Christ?

I am beginning to see that if these are my priorities, then I will have more of those easy, peaceful days. Days where I am better able to be loving and patient. Days where things go smoothly, and even when they don't, I can still be happy and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!