Monday, March 10, 2014

on living a small life


I pulled a lot of weeds on Saturday. A whole season's worth in one go. But I didn't mind, because it was a beautiful day and I had the wisteria blossoms to keep me company, plus it gave me lots of time to think about this life and what I want to accomplish in it. I realized that my goals are actually quite simple. They are mainly: to be content with what I have, and to serve those around me. I think if I could master those two things I would have a lifetime of happiness.

Here's the thing: I want to live a small life. I want to decide to be content with what I have, to turn my focus to my family. I want to work to improve myself, and to not worry about what anyone else is doing. The world will keep on turning and changing and trying to tell me that I need to do or be or have more. I have no control over that. But I do have control over what happens in my living room with my little family. And that's the most important thing anyway.

Some deep thoughts for a Monday, I guess. How was your weekend?

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the flowers! I too wish to live a small life; I think a small life is often underrated in our culture. Cheers me to hear your thoughts on it. I've found that I'm starting to get more frustrated each day because I am pulled into places (mainly work) that take me away from focusing on my priorities. Maybe it's time for a change...but either way, some deep thoughts for a Monday over here as well! :-) Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. always perfectly said steph. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are excellent thoughts and I agree.
    My weekend was wonderful - time with family, which is how I like to spend it best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love having the moments that ground me and "reset" my mind to that very same thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I do love you -you are inspiring and awesome and such a great example for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I have so much to let go of in terms of what success means. And I think you are right. We all have a life to live, but I believe through our "small" lives, great things can come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Well said. You hae motivated me through your posts the last few weeks to really evaluate what I have and to rid my life of things, feelings, and wants that I can truly live without. I too hope to turn more focus to time with my family and not in the things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I have read your blog for about a year now - and have been inspired and uplifted so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! I love to read your thoughts. Your blog is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read your blog for years but have rarely commented. As a girl I was in the MIssionettes progam at my church. I still remember our motto was: We care. Because we care, we serve. And my own personal motto is: keep it simple. Mesh the two and it sounds similar to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!