Monday, September 24, 2012

adventures in pie making


Cake will always have my heart, but this fall I want to learn how to make pie. I started on Saturday with a classic apple. I used Martha's recipe with this pate brisee, read this post about 10 times, and made a big huge mess of my kitchen. It was fun, but I can see that I need more practice. What kind of pie should I tackle next? Probably pumpkin, I think.

(This pie has been one of my favorites for years, but I have always used a frozen pie crust. I think I need to try it again, this time from scratch.)

3 comments:

  1. Steph this is the apple pie that I always make. It is delicious and with a scoop of ice cream I think it is my favorite. Know you eilll love it even though it is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making pies...I'm not sure if you have Tenderflake brand lard in the US but if you do buy it and use the pastry recipe on the box...it mixes up perfectly and makes enough for 2 or 3 double crust pies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the best pie crust recipe for you and it is so easy!

    6 cups flour
    2 cups crisco (I use butter flavored)
    1 cube butter
    2 TBSP oil
    1 cup buttermilk
    dash of salt

    Cut shortening and butter into flour. Ad buttermilk and oil. Stir with a wooden spoon. Form dough into 8 balls. You can freeze the balls you are not using. Each ball will make one pie crust or cover pie. So, if your pie will have a crust top, you will use 2 balls of dough.

    Roll dough out between two layers of saran wrap. Place dough into pie pan, prick with fork.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. (If you bake your pie, you don't need to pre-bake your crust. Just add your filling and bake all together!)

    I had never made crust before either and this turned out great the first time! It's also flaky and delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!