Tuesday, September 01, 2009

tee shirt #3

pre-fix: plain, old, and boring


post-fix: half-sleeved, gathered, and cute?

I needed a red shirt the other day. So I grabbed an old long sleeved one I had hanging around and started cutting. Who wears long sleeves in Arizona anyway, right? It's like a million degrees here.

First, I shortened the sleeves, removed the original neckline, and cut off the hem. I made the neckline a wee bit v-necked. Then I got my trusty elastic thread into my machine and sewed 4 lines, each 1/4 inch apart, with the first line 1/2 inch from the bottom, around the hem of the shirt. I did the same thing on the sleeves, but only did 2 lines. And around the neck, I did one line just near the v.

I can't decide if I like it or not, but I wore it to church anyway.

You can see shirt #1 here and here, and shirt #2 here.

11 comments:

  1. totally cute. you are the queen of refashioning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the half sleeve idea!
    i tried my first "stephanie" elastic alteration the other day - though it's not as cute as yours tend to be. i think i'll try that half sleeve idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! i think you should teach your skills for enrichment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have that same shirt in green and brown but I could never ever make it as cute as yours. I thought you looked great on Sunday, I like it. You should definitely teach an enrichment class, I would totally go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Yes, an enrichment class would be great! Although I still wouldn't be able to get it to look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try elastic thread. Anytips you could share about the thread before I start a project like this cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! I will have to try this-only we don't live in Phoenix anymore and I will actually need long sleeves.... Darn.

    Thanks for the pattern help by the way. I found a different one and improvised from there-you can see what I came up with here:
    http://vermillionrules.blogspot.com/2009/08/practice-dress.html
    It's a practice dress-I was too scared to use the real fabric for fear what would happen :) Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I have 4 shirts from DownEast Basics waiting for something to happen to them. This is perfect. But I have never sewn with elastic thread. Are there any tricks to it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:52 PM

    I do like it!!! so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!