Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I have always been a big fan of black bean burgers.


The problem is that no one else in my little family will eat them. (Mike thinks they are too squishy and the kids, well, I don't think they like the way they look, to be honest.) But that doesn't stop me from whipping up a batch every once in a while for my own enjoyment.

I have tried several recipes. My most recent attempt was a derivative of my three favorite recipes, but alas, I am no chef, and it didn't turn out so well.

So, here is the recipe I use most often {from How it all Vegan, via cjane (who is keeping us all up to date on the progress of her sister and our friend, Stephanie), via design mom long ago}:

Spicy Black Bean Burgers
1/2 cup flour
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 small hot pepper, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium red pepper, diced
2 cups black beans, rinsed and mashed
1/2 cup corn niblets
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp fresh parsley

Set flour aside for coating. Saute onion, garlic, oregano, and hot pepper in oil until onions are translucent. Add peppers and saute for another 2 minutes, until pepper is tender. In a large bowl, mash the beans with a fork. Stir in the vegetables, corn, bread crumbs, cumin, salt, chili powder, and parsley. Mix well. Divide and shape into patties. Coat in flour. Cook on a lightly oiled frying pan on medium high for about 5-10 minutes, or until brown.

I don't like spicy things, so I leave out all of the peppers. I also don't like cumin, so I leave that out as well. (Am I boring, or what?) I like to add about 1/2 cup cheese to the mixture, and instead of using 2 cups of beans, I just use 2 cans. I serve them with homemade salsa and avocados on whole wheat buns. I love them. I just wish everyone else did, too. Do you have a good black bean burger recipe? Please share if you do. I am still on the look out for the best.


In other news, doesn't Mabel look sweet? Thanks for the dress, Ali.
She put it on immediately.
You can get your own here.

4 comments:

  1. those do sound yummy, i'd eat them if i were over! i'll have to try them sometime, we love all things spicy here!

    ali is a sewing MACHINE! not a real sewing machine, i mean she sews very prolifically. cute dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, thank you, thank you. i love bean burgers. (and spicy things and cumin, but i bet your digestive system will last longer.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, such an adorable pic of Mabel! I'm so glad that she likes the dress...she's so sweet!

    The recipe sounds great...I think I'll try it for our Sunday night dinner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Te bean burgers will be good when the Matt Parker's come over as Matt doesn't eat meat (except chicken).
    Love Mabel's new dress and it isn't all pink!
    Love and hugs
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!