Thursday, August 21, 2008

Egg Dish of the Week

(This is not a picture of my frittata.)

We typically have some sort of egg dish for dinner once a week. We like egg burritos, poached eggs on toast, huevos rancheros (like this), or just scrambled. Tonight I made my first frittata and boy was it delicious. Here is the recipe (from allrecipes.com):

American Frittata
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 onions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup cubed ham
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
  3. Stir in eggs, drained potatoes, ham, salt and pepper. Cook until eggs are firm on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Top frittata with shredded cheese and place in preheated oven until cheese is melted and eggs are completely firm, about 10 minutes.
Let's see, I used medium red potatoes and forgot to peel them. I found 4 to be too many, so I probably used 2 1/2 to 3. I had some asparagus that was about to go bad, so I chopped it into bite sized pieces and added it with the onions. I don't have a cast iron skillet, unfortunately, so I cooked my things on the stove in a regular skillet and then transferred it to a glass pie plate before putting it in the oven. It worked out ok, but a cast iron skillet would have been more convenient. I topped my frittata with cheese and chopped tomatoes. It was really yummy and I will definitely make it again.

Disclaimer: my kids didn't really eat it.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Never would've thought of huevos rancheros - I'm trying that one.

    And I thought you don't like shopping? Or is it just store shopping? Well either way I always thought you had the cutest style. LOVE that sweater below. It's sweater season all year here and I actually want to be HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had eggs for dinner. but they were scrambled and went along with the pancakes. that looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did mike eat poached eggs on toast before he was your husband? i'm just curious, neal thinks they're kind of yucky and never ate them growing up while i love them. with lots of pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh... yum. adding to future menu plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do kids ever 'really eat it'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, my mom wrote what I was going to. Last night I made Indian food, but I made sure to take keep the kids' chicken out of the sauce. :-)

    Thanks for the recipe. I bought a cast iron skillet years ago, and haven't really used it, but Elliott just re-seasoned it the other day, so we can try this recipe. yippee! My kids will probably pick out the egg parts and eat just that!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I'd love to respond, and it is much easier if your account is linked to your email address. Or, you could just email me at barefootstephanie@gmail.com. Thank you!